Yahoo is one of the globe’s top search engines. Its URL is search.yahoo.com, although it may vary depending on your location. In the United Kingdom, for example, the URL would be uk.search.yahoo.com. Because Yahoo is a fully safe site, redirection to other search engines can be concerning.
Modifications in search engine results can indicate that malware has invaded your browser. An example of this kind of software is a browser hijacker. Without your knowledge, it modifies your browser’s settings.
This post will walk you through the steps of removing Yahoo Search from Chrome. You will also discover what a browser hijacker is and how to remove it from your computer.
Why is Yahoo Search being used by Google Chrome?
Google Chrome is the default search engine once you install it. There is a problem if you haven’t adjusted your settings and are diverted to Yahoo. spyware, often known as a browser hijacker, has most certainly infected your web browser.
How Google Chrome Adds and Removes Search Engines
You can add and remove any search engine from Chrome’s desktop edition. However, you cannot add or remove engines of search from Chrome on smartphones. You can only change your search engine if you dislike the existing one.
As a result, in this post, you will discover how to uninstall the search engine Yahoo from Chrome on the computer. You will discover how to switch to a different search engine, such as Google, on mobile.
What exactly is a Yahoo Search redirect virus?
When your default search tool switches to Yahoo, it signifies your browser has been infected with spyware, also known as a browser hijacker. It changes your browser options without your knowledge or consent. As a result, it has been designated as a potentially undesirable application (PUA). Such a virus can alter your browser’s default settings, the main screen, and the URLs of new windows.
Because accessing and using Yahoo is free, browser hijackers will not benefit you in any way. Some of them just link you to websites with adverts on which the hacker earns money from clicks.
The browser hijackers can potentially be dangerous in some situations. They can install malware to monitor your surfing history and collect personal information about you. Hackers collect information about you in order to personalize advertisements for you.
Although it is unusual, identity theft can occur as a result of browser hijacking. The hacker has the ability to take over your entire system and steal vital information from your device. As a result, you should eliminate the infection as quickly as feasible.
How can remove the Yahoo search engine from Chrome?
Removing the Yahoo search engine from Google Chrome will assist in restoring your default search engine. However, you must remove the source of the problem in order to prevent hackers from changing it again. This step-by-step approach will assist you in resolving the problem:
Step 1: Modify the default engine
- Go to “Settings” by clicking on the 3 dots (“”) in the upper-right corner of Chrome.
- Go to the left side of the screen and click the “Search engine” icon.
- Choose your preferred search engine from the list in the “Search engine used in the address bar” section.
- Click the “Manage search engines” link below.
- By using the Yahoo search engine, click the “Remove from list” button after selecting the three dots (“”).
Step 2: Delete unnecessary extensions
Many redirects may be brought on by mistake-installed web extensions. You can browse them and choose to disable them or get rid of them. Nevertheless, you should totally uninstall any harmful extensions.
- In Chrome’s upper right corner, select the 3 dots. Click the “Extensions” option after selecting “More Tools” from the menu.
- If you notice any unknown extensions, click “Remove”.
Step 3: Reset the browser to its default settings
If you see that your settings have been altered, you may also reset them to their original state under your advanced options. There won’t be any unintended changes; all of the settings will revert to how they were when you originally installed the browser.
This is a quicker method for disabling extensions and changing the default search engine. However, it will remove all currently installed browser extensions. Later, by heading to Settings – More Tools – Extensions, you can enable them.
- In the browser’s top-right corner, select the three dots (“”). Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Select “Advanced” from the menu on the left side of the screen, then “Reset settings”.
- Choose the setting “Restore settings to their original defaults”
- A pop-up window will appear requesting you to reset your settings. “Reset settings” should be clicked.
- Relaunch Chrome.
Step 4: Remove any unauthorized software
If changing Chrome’s settings still doesn’t work, an installed program might be to blame. You must check your computer for unwanted programs and remove any that stand out as potentially harmful or unnecessary.
Depending on the operating system you use, the procedure varies. The steps for deleting programs on Windows and Mac are listed below.
- Enter Control Panel in the taskbar’s search bar. Decide on it.
- Under Features and Programs, click “Uninstall a program.”
- You can uninstall a software by doing a right-click. Simply click “Uninstall” or “Uninstall/change.”
- Observe the guidelines
- click the Finder icon.
- click on “Applications“
- If the application is included in a folder, open it to see if an uninstaller is present. If there is one, select it and adhere to the directions. Click the application and drag it to the Trash icon on the right side of the dock if there is no uninstaller or if it is not in a folder.
- When you empty the Trash folder, the program will be permanently removed after it has been placed there.
Step 5. Install an antivirus and run a scan
Manually removing malware is time-consuming. Additionally, you can’t always be certain that you’ve removed it entirely. The best course of action is to select a trustworthy antivirus (we suggest TotalAV antivirus) and conduct a scan.
- Go to the official website of the antivirus service you have selected.
- Select a plan and sign up.
- Add the payment information, then purchase the item.
- Get the Installer now.
- activate the antivirus.
- Open the antivirus program after installation, then start a scan.
- To get rid of the malware, follow the following.
It is quite aggravating when the Yahoo search engine appears out of nowhere. It happens as a result of a hijacker altering your browser’s settings. Fortunately, you shouldn’t worry too much because getting rid of it is not difficult.
To remove dangerous applications from your device, I suggest using this method. By staying away from unauthorized files and purchasing antivirus software, you may protect your system from future assaults.